I began the blog. I bemoaned the blog. The blog began to eat me alive, slowly. By subtle and then not so subtle degrees. I had to wrest control of myself and my writing and my blog writing. I'm still mid-duel and I'm not yet sure which side will prevail. For now though, I'm basking in the deliciousness of writing so much (yes! writing! fiction!) that I'm not finding time for the blog posts. I believe this is what Jung referred to as the senex (working life - logical/rational) vs. the puer (creative life - openness) struggle. The goal is to find the balance between the two in life, yet most people spend their entire lives swinging dramatically from one side to the other. And back again. Many years working too much & no creative, then changing their whole lives around to be only creative, with little work. Never satisfied. Always conflicted. Always feeling the pull of both sides and never really fully being able to focus on each in a way that is meaningful without neglecting the other. You need both in life and I'm walking that line and learning the steps (again, all references to how fitting it is that my blog is named counterbalance -- which really hits this point home -- would seem somehow self-congratulatory and a bit pious...but...if the references are apt, who am i to get in the way of you making that connection?) and it feels oh so fine.
So. I rambled all of that to say this: I'm writing fiction. Again. After a too-long hiatus. I am now attempting to add the blog back into the equation. This is a divine state of affairs. To further walk that line (balance/counterbalance), I'll be doing some things in the next few days:
- A.M. Homes - She's reading tonight at Skylight Books. 7:30pm. I will go. I will get a seat. Her writing unnerves me and I'm so eager to see if she's equally unnerving in person. I will report back.
- Write the next draft of the short story that is due on July 15th.
- The Swan Man -- The Swan Man Act I is almost complete, I'll post it when it's ready. I did get in. So much to say -- please do check back.
- Continue the Chapter that began out of nowhere early this week. Keep. It. Going.
- ABC's & LMNOP's of Jury Duty - This saga continues and several posts are almost ready for this as well. I know I've broken that rule about not posting anything else in the middle of a multi-part story...but life got in the middle...and, well, that's what this whole blog is about.
- Augusten Burroughs -- He'll be at Book Soup on Monday evening. You know the drill.
- More writing. Note taking. Observations of those around me. Reading if I feel like it. Reading of the blogs I love if I feel like it. But writing. Definitely writing.
That is all.