My heart is in my throat as I type this. But, alas, it is true. David Foster Wallace ended it all on Friday.
DFW is gone.
More when I can wrap my head around this news...
UPDATE: Still processing, as are many readers & writers who've emailed. Until I get my act together, here is the four-part series, DFW on the Installment Plan, that I wrote about his reading in Westwood at the Hammer Museum in 2006:
- Going to See the Unseeable Man
- DFW on the Installment Plan Part One: The Cold, Cold Hammer Courtyard
- DFW on the Installment Plan Part Two: Consider Me Smitten-Humbled-Smitten
- DFW on the Installment Plan Part Three: The Things We Do for Love
- DFW on the Installment Plan Part Four: Thank Goodness for Kenyon